Tuesday 23 October 2012

Chirpings that went in wind


The chirping that woke me up
 In a dawn from the trees

Gradually died away in wind
leaving memories of little feathers
Which I longed to caress as a boy

As anniversary once in a year,
Comes and goes the day  for sparrows
Reminding the shades of yesteryear
 Their  chirps  waking me up  to light 
a cigarette in the morning

The flock of sparrows pecking away 
The grains that mother left to dry on the 
Courtyard were once guests unbidden to home

Mother fed me,the adamant toddler, with small morsels of rice 
 showing the little  bird  hopping by the door
And, the visitor came home every morning to mock at my
Cries shaking his little nose.


My child, who wants to sight a live sparrow
In this concrete jungle asked me to post a 
Nest box to invite the bird
And  I did that.

We both are awaiting the guest, yet
The little one doesn't seem to turn up

Tired of waiting,I showed her a sparrow
In a book  penned by Salim Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment